Friday, January 7, 2011

My very first Kwanzaa

Last weekend my uncle held a celebration for kwanza at his home. It was my first time attending a Kwanza celebration and I really enjoyed it. We focussed on the topic of uniting as a culture and a community as black people and really remaining strong, and dominant in the world today. It was a very interesting night full of activities, entertainment and food. I chose to stand out qas I made the big decision to actually dress the part. I wore an African dress. My younger brother and cousins laughed at me and said my decision; but I didn’t care because I wanted the night to be as memorable as possible. Before attending the event I had no idea to what Kwanza was so I chose to do some research and learnt a lot of back ground information on Kwanza. With the knowledge I learnt I wrote a poem. The poem is something that I can keep with me forever, something that will remind me of my very first kwanza.

How important it is to know
What it is that allowed us to grow
Respect we must show
Some of them would throw
Their own lives away
To make a way for a day like today
A day in which we can reunite, remember the fight
Reevaluate our self determination
And take times to realize our realtions
With our family and friends
See it’s a time to mend
Our minds
To remember the times
A time to remember our purpose
Why we are here on the surface
Black
The people
Red
The struggles
Green
The Hope The future
Great privilege we should take
In the mistakes they make
The impact they have is enough to make the world shake
So many things have changed
Because they decided to change lanes
They refused to sit down and accept
Disrespect
Instead they fought, with no regrets
We must now
Take their places
And continue their fight
The fight for our rights
They fought with all their might
To allow our bonds to remain tight
We say thank you
We show gratitude
With great maltitude
Together we will take on the world
We will fly as one
And reach to the highest altitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment